I love handmade gifts, especially at Valentine’s Day! There’s nothing more touching than receiving a heartfelt gift that someone put time and effort into finding (and maybe making), just for you. And, in my mind, nothing more fulfilling than seeing the smile on a special someone’s face when they open the gift YOU made or selected, just for them!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, but there’s still plenty of time to make a lovely gift for your valentines. My Love You the Most pillow pattern is a perfect (and perfectly easy) Valentine for girls of all ages. Available on Craftsy.com, the pattern includes step-by-step instructions to create several versions – switch up the fabrics and add embellishments, and the possibilities are pretty much endless!
The pattern provides detailed instructions for finishing your pillow with a one piece back or an envelope back, and clearly shows how to apply lace, fringe, purchased decorative cord and bias covered cord as decorative finishes.
My Love You the Most design also makes cute wall hangings or really sweet ring bearer pillows, with a few adjustments. Today I’m going to show you how to use the pattern to create a wall hanging – one more option to have in your pattern arsenal! This quick tutorial is an excerpt from my Love Those Shoes! patterns: Fashionista, Meeow!, Oh, So Coco! and Over the Rainbow, also available on Craftsy. Here are a few pics of similar sized wall hangings using this method:
You will need:
- 14 1/2″ x 14 1/2″ piece of backing fabric
- 7/8″ Wide Single Fold Bias Tape
- 1 piece thin cardboard or foam core 1/2″ smaller (on all sides) than wall hanging after stitching front and back together (optional).
- 1/4″ dowel, 16″ long
- 2 Wood finials or beads to cap dowel ends
- 1 yd (approximately) 1/2″wide ribbon
Follow the steps provided in the Applique and Construction sections of the pattern to create front panel, then continue with the steps below:
1. Cut a piece of backing fabric 14 1/2″ x 14 1/2″.
2. Attach a hanging sleeve to backing prior to stitching it to the front. Here’s an easy way to do it:
- Purchase Wide Single Fold Bias Tape in a matching or coordinating color. 7/8″ wide works well with a 1/4″ dowel.
- Cut bias tape 2 1/2″ shorter than the width of backing fabric.
- Fold under 1/4″ on each end, and another 1/4″. Press and stitch down.
- Pin bias tape across backing, about 1″ down from the top.
- Stitch long ends at top and bottom, close to folds.
3. Follow instructions for decorative trim (optional) beginning on page 15 of instructions.
4. Pin front panel and backing together at outside edges, right sides together, leaving bottom open.
5. Stitch side and top seams using 1/4″ seam.
6. Turn right side out.
7. Insert cardboard or foam core in bottom opening. This step is optional, but helps the piece hang evenly.
8. Stitch opening closed.
9. Slip dowel through the hanging sleeve. Attach wooden finials/beads to dowel ends.
10. Tie ribbon to each end of dowel, trimming as needed to hang correctly.
11. Hang and enjoy!